Saturday, February 21, 2009

D Day

February 21 is D day. On February 21, 2001, Hannah was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. I remember everything about that day. I did not go to work that day, I used a vacation day. I took Hannah for her sweat test at 9:00am. After the test, I stopped by work to show her off. She was such a beautiful baby she just couldn't have a deadly disease. I took her to the baby sitter. Then I went shopping and bought a bunch of clothes for her on clearance that she could wear the following winter. I went to the grocery store and bought pork chops for dinner. Tom was still working nights so he slept. They said the Doctor would have the results after 4pm. So when Tom got up, he called the Doctor's office and left a message. I started dinner and he left to pick up Tommy and Hannah. When the phone rang about 4:30, Dr. Boukulic was on the other end. I knew the news was bad. Doctors don't call with good news. I remember getting light headed or like I was dreaming. I knew I had to hold myself together to hear every word he had to say. The one thing I don't remember is her score. I remember one arm was off the charts high and the other didn't register. He said we would repeat the test but there was almost no chance it could be a false positive. We also had to test Tommy. We couldn't get them tested until Monday and this was Wednesday. He told me to take her to Children's the following day to learn about air way clearance and to get enzymes to help her digest her food. While talking to him, I had slid down the wall and into the floor. As soon as I hung up, I started to cry hysterically. I called the sitter to see if Tom had left and found out he was on his way. I started pacing and crying. I called my boss so he would know and he told me to stay home the next day but I said no I would be in late. I needed to try to keep my mind occupied and still do. I had barely enough sense to take the pork chops out of the oven but I did. The few minutes I spent waiting for Tom seemed like hours.
I met him at the door and we cried together. We thought our baby was as good as dead. Tommy couldn't understand what was going on he was only 6. I felt like I was going crazy. We started to call family and friends and found ourselves consoling them. We looked at the CF Foundation website and learned the life expectancy was 32. Not long enough. Tom called in sick to work, there was no way he could have gone to work having just found out and he needed to go the next day to learn how to care for her. In a brief moment, our lives were forever changed. Nothing would ever be the same, this disease would shape the rest of our lives. Change who we were and believe it or not, we are better people as a result. You quickly learn what is important, you love your children more, you have a purpose. We wanted to raise awareness, we wanted to raise money to find the cure. She has touched so many people and is an inspiration for all that meet her. She is a hero, my hero. I want to make her proud. I know Tommy is inspired by her. He said today that when he gets into major league baseball CF will be his platform. Famous people can make a differnce he says. I am so proud of him. He is such wonderful young man. The Team for Life ran in Hannah's honor today and Coach Wayne said the most beautiful prayer. I hate this disease but I have met some wonderful people as a result and I wouldn't change that. God Bless you Hannah, you are so strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment